DSK Implements WatSan Program Through:
- Building and empowerment of Community Based Organization
- Visible Participation of Women and poorest of the poor
- Demand generation
- Participatory Planning, Implementation and monitoring
- Mobilize Internal and External Resources
- Strengthen and Engagement of LGI as key development partners
The overall strategy for watsan services is based on experiences, guiding principles and national policy formulated by GOB.
a. Strategy for hygiene promotion and behavioral change:
DSK runs it hygiene education and promotion through following strategies based on 15 years working experience with poor communities.
- Participatory and small hygiene group based education through courtyard session.
- Nine key hygiene messages are clustered in to three section i.e. use safe water for all purpose, safe sanitation by all family members and hand washing in 6 critical times, food hygiene, solid waste management and menstrual health management
- Different hygiene promotion for different groups i.e. Adult female group through courtyard session, CtC for child group, School hygiene education for school children, tea stall session for man customer and service-man.
- HP by community volunteers and UP members
- PRA approaches and tools re used for message dissemination
- Popular media is used for creating awareness
- Participatory monitoring by the used group to collect data of practices and follow-up and feedback mechanism.
- Special hygiene promotion for differently able person(disable)
b. Sanitation Strategy:
Sanitation is the key issues for health. To improve the health scenario GoB declared 100% sanitation by 201o. DSK is also working to achieve the target through community led process.
- Community driven 100% sanitation access to the project participants.
- LGI /UP/ City Corporation / Municipality is the key agency to be involved to reach the target
- CMC is formed for O & M of community based sanitation options
- Promote school sanitation with gender and child friendly technology
- Promote to proper utilize 20% ADP allocation for UP to the poorest people.
- Especial emphasis to O & M of the sanitation facilities
- Innovation sustainable and environmental friendly low cost technology
c. Community-led total sanitation (CLTS)
Community-led total sanitation (CLTS) involves facilitating a process to inspire and empower rural communities to stop open defecation and to build and use latrines, without offering external subsidies to purchase hardware such as pans and pipes. However may combine with credit support.
- Ignition process using Participatory Rural Appraisal
- Facilitation – the key to achieving participation
- Exploration of innovative models of toilets
- Community catalysts
- Community consultants
- Social dynamics and group formation
- Declaring villages as 100 per cent sanitized
d. Strategy for Water supply:
Over the period DSK has develop a model for community based water supply for the urban slums which is now replication by the NGOs and GoB also through different watsan initiatives. At the same time DSK also implementing rural water supply scheme through different alternative options.
- Increase access to safe water by 100% target population
- Community driven water supply system is being implemented and system implemented, run and managed by community as a whole
- Cost sharing mechanism in place according to the economic category and ability to pay of the user families. Community itself analysis their sample economic categories [A=Non poor, B=Middle class, C= Poor & D= Hardcore poor] and ability to pay.
- Provide training to the CBOs and Caretaker for operation and maintenance.
- 100% communities are running , operation and maintaining their water points
- 100% site selection by the community user group particularly by women and local bodies.
- Carry out water quality surveillance by implementing Water Safety Plan and Safe Water System following the WHO and National Guideline water quality monitoring.
e. Strategy for capacity building:
Build capacity both for community and service provider is a important activities for DSK watsan project for sustainability.
- Form CBO and empower them via training, meeting exposure visit, dialogue, lobby, advocacy and network.
- Engagement LGI as the focal point for watsan initiative and enhance their capacity through training, meeting, exposure visit and dialogue
- Training on O & M to the caretaker [50% are female] and local meson.
- Function linkage between community and service providers in general, LGI in particular.
- Facilitate to develop and empower community based local entrepreneurship, meson, private suppliers, contractors etc.
- Provide adequate information to the community and other stakeholders