||Phasing out Plan
To make program sustainable, DSK believes that facilitating organizations should regularly work with an exit strategy. Taking over the responsibilities of the program by the community is an important element of sustainability. DSK has adopted phasing out plan from the intervention with following conditions-
- 100% coverage by sanitation [no open defecation is found] and water supply to the target community.
- CBOs and community are taking pro-active role in O & M of the infrastructure
- At least 80% target families are practicing key hygiene behavior i.e. hand washing with soap in critical time, keep food / drinking water covered, use sandal during defecation, safe menstrual behavior etc.
- Effective linkage between LGI and Community through meeting, dialogue etc.
- Strong retention of CLTS tool.
||Research and Innovation
DSK always works for innovation in the program, based on the experiences, knowledge, community demand and context, which does create extra value for the community. Under DSK’s watsan initiative following action research has taken to provide benefit to the poor communities both in rural and urban areas.
a. Community based Mini Pipe water supply system: For the last one and half year DSK is managing community based mini pipe water supply system for the poor people who had no access to safe water. Four projects are running in four different locations of Dhaka and Harirampur union in Dhaka district.
Community formed a management committee for each project. A female member from the user families heads Comittee. 750 families have water tap at their house from the projects. Each family pays Tk 50.00 per month to the committee. Community runs the system as a small-scale community business.
By motivating community it could be a social business to meet water crisis in the rural and the municipality areas.
b. Research on water quality surveillance
DSK is running two action researches on water quality surveillance in its project areas. The main objective of the research is to find out a community based water quality monitoring for safe water supply system.
c. Water Safety Plan (WSP)
DSK is doing a pilot research on water safety plan on 800 families over the last 12 months. The main activities of the pilot are:
- Establish a baseline of water quality [Arsenic, bacteria, pH, Iron turbidity] with a field-testing kit.
- Community awareness through meeting, IEC material, User book.
- Caretaker training on safe water sources, water storage, transportation, cleaning of water jar.
- Hygiene promotion at family level on safe water by community volunteer.
- Repairing and maintenance of water sources.
- End survey of water quality.
d. Safe Water System:
With the technical and financial support of WHO and CDC [Atlanta,USA] DSK is carrying out an action research for the urban water supply on 6000 households of urban slums to make the water safe.
The main components of research are:
- Carried out a baseline survey on water quality – Bacteria, Chlorine, pH, Turbidity
- Use narrow- mouth water container
- Water treatment at home by Sodium Hypo-chlorate (5%).
- Hygiene promotion to user groups on hand wash, safe handling of water, cleaning water pot and reservoir.
- Regular laboratory test of treated water.
- Replication and scale-up the successful intervention in other project areas.
The three years research work will be completed in December 2007.
e. Action research on Sanitation Options for Slums over Water Bodies or in Low-lying Areas [Submergible Septic Tank (SST)]
With the technical support of ITN- BUET DSK has undertaken new research initiative to find out an appropriate sanitation option for the people who live on water body or low-lying areas. Lack of sanitation option did force dwellers of those areas to use hanging latrines or defecate in open space that creates serious health hazards.
Under this research initiative, special type of submerged seepage tank was constructed in a pond, which is connected with 22 hanging latrines used by 220 families. For the last 2 years the research works have been continuing.
The water quality of SST and the pond is being monitored in each month through laboratory tests. Concentration of following parameters are being tested over the last two years.-
Parameters are -
- Total Dissolved Solids
- Total Suspended Solids
- Fecal Coliform
Possibly it is the only research imitative in Bangladesh to find out scientific solution for people who live in water body or low lying areas.
It is needless to say that the aforesaid Piloting Research Project will help to identify suitable sanitation options for low lying areas / hanging slums on water bodies in different areas of Bangladesh and that would definitely give an extra value to achieve 100% sanitation for the special circumstances. The formulated option should be replicated in different areas of the country and it will contribute a range in determining different sanitation options.
The development of sanitation options will help to improve the overall condition of public health via improvemnet in sanitaion service options and hygiene environment. If the public health condition is improved the productivity shall be increased significantly.