Dhaka Environmentally Sustainable Water Supply Project (DESWSP)
To improve access to water and sanitation and promote legal empowerment of women and vulnerable groups in low-income slum communities in DESWSP’s commanding and surrounding areas in Dhaka.
|Duration of the project
|41 slums in Dhaka DNCC/DSCC
|September 2023 to August 2025
|Asian Development Fund
Methodology and approaches
- DSK will facilitate formation of Water User Groups (WUG) linked to each of the water point and or to Toilet sanitation block and integrate those group into a federative area-based Apex body as a CBO.
- The DSK will undertake different WASH campaign (Workshop, FGD, Community conferences, Day observation, Dissemination of leaflets, Bill boards) to alert local slum dwellers about their access to DWASA supply on their roles and responsibilities (Safe water use, Hygiene education, O&M fund maintenance, Regular bill payment) and how to maintain the WASH structures such as water points and Toilets which shall be installed in their benefit.
- PHAST Approach: “PHAST” stands for Participatory Hygiene and Sanitation Transformation. Under this approach, messages are transmitted through participatory approaches including group and courtyard sessions, followed by refreshers and community monitoring.
- RANAS Approach: “RANAS” stands for Risks, Attitudes, Norms, Abilities, and Self-regulation. The process involves community consultations, household visits, health sessions, oath taking, and campaigns.
- Output 1: Access of women and vulnerable groups in selected slums to improved water and sanitation services strengthened;
- Output 2: Sectoral policies, planning, and capacity for Gender-responsive and socially inclusive responses to WASH challenges strengthened;
- Output 3: Participation of women and vulnerable groups in water, sanitation, and slum governance strengthened and mechanisms for their legal empowerment